After several years working as a professional portrait artist, Life very seriously sat me down, looked me in the eyes and gave me the opportunity and time to ask 'Lianne, what the hell is going on? What do you REALLY want to do?'
It wasn't that I was unhappy, I loved working in an industry I was naturally passionate about, but truth be told, I was desperate to explore and discover my true creative calling. I felt creatively incomplete... like I hadn't even begun exploring what I was truly capable of.
I had settled down as an artist far too soon.
Putting my happiness and mental health first, I decided it was time to explore (and salvage) ALL the facets of my creativity.
My new goal was to Live My Best Creative Life focusing on curiosity, fun, persistence and respect. A creative glo-up, if you will. This website and blog presents to you the work that I make, have made, and the lessons I've learned on this journey into the deep brooding and, probably, very sparkly world of Art and life as a woman and mother making stuff.
I do indeed sell my work. I do commissions. I am available for hire. But ultimately my priority right now is listening to the call of the paintbrush. My work is what it is. Take it for what you will. So no, I am not in a place to write an artist's statement just yet, or exhibit... That would just be a waste of my time and yours. And the work I make today may be very different to the work I make next week. Who knows where I'll end up. I have left the door wide open for myself during this very exciting time.
Instead, why don't you take a look at where I've been and where I hope to go. And join me... you are so very welcome on this adventure. We all need the opportunity to get to know ourselves better and live our own best creative lives. Don't you think?
THINGS I'VE DONE
- I was born, raised and live in Kent, the garden of England. That's about 30 min from London.
- I am a mother to three children who despite making a lot of mess and flagrantly stealing my art supplies fill my life with so much joy and purpose it'll make you sick.
- I run a property development business here in the UK with my husband so that's why I'm always moving house and how I can afford to stay at home and be an 'artist'.
- Some interesting facts about me: I can read Tarot. I passed my driving test on Friday 13th and consider this an achievement. Possibly a miracle. I can't smell between 7pm and 7am and I don't know why. And Johnnie Walker is one of my close ancestors... as well as a pirate.
- Perfume and bold lipstick is my thing. Don't come between me and my Ruby Woo.
- I am a foodie. And I have shares in a vineyard. So I basically throw the best dinner parties.
- I am a bit of a geek about the weather, science and foraging. I will genuinely freak out over a tiny weed or bug I've never seen before and I am NOT sorry.
- I have been published in Colored Pencil magazine and Pretty Litter Magazine which was all rather exciting.
- I have been featured in Crafty Creatives, which is a monthly craft kit subscription box for adults. How cool is that?
- I've exhibited locally and worldwide, including coffee shops, pop art art galleries, art fairs, open studios and charity shows. It's not like the RA or anything, but it taught me a lot.
- I've done many private commissions over the years, mainly traditional style family portraits, each presenting their own challenges.
- I am a film graduate. I studied Media Arts at Royal Holloway, University of London (the first University that allowed female students btw) and then worked for ARRI media. I once stood in for Cate Blanchett on a test shoot for Elizabeth: The Golden Age, because I am that ridiculously pale.
- I'm currently a Make Art That Sells student learning illustration.
THINGS I WANT TO DO
Consider this a ridiculous dream bucket list of things I'd love to do:
- Build an illustration portfolio
- Do an A-Z of artwork challenges
- Complete the GESSO: Primed Creatives blogging challenge Crystal level. But Gold will do.
- Have a really snazzy looking Instagram account.
- Perfect hyperrealism
- Paint water mixable oil portraits
- Botanical art and painting pretty flowers
- Refine my brush lettering and calligraphy
- Go to an art retreat
- Write my first course
- Write an art book
- Do lots more abstract art
- Be a persistent artist
- Be included in the RA summer exhibition- a girl can dream
- Win an award
- Complete just ONE sketchbook finally, please
- Costume design things
- Knit some socks. Preferably fair-isle style.
- Design and print my own fabric and make some skirts for it.
- Book covers and maybe illustrate books for adults.
- Work with fashion brands and magazines
- Master watercolours
- Host my own retreat or workshop
- Make a regular stable income from my artwork that is enough to survive on
- Learn more design skills
- Create some pinup work for a Burlesque or cabaret house. Or retro fashion brand.
- Figure out how to use my overlocker
- Collaborate with other artists, brands and bloggers more
- Be a product ambassador for an art material I LOVE
- Join a society.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT DO YOU USE TO CREATE/DRAW/PAINT/MAKE....
Check out this blog post: Everything I use to create my artwork
DO YOU REVIEW ART PRODUCTS OR ART BOOKS?
I do! Got something it mind that you'd like me to consider reviewing? Get in touch
DID YOU GO TO ART SCHOOL?
I studied Fine Art A-Level and have a BA Media Arts which was a mix of digital skills, film making/theory and video art. But I am mainly self taught.
HOW DO YOU TAKE YOUR PHOTOS?
I mainly use my iPhone and SLR (Canon 450d).
DO YOU SHIP INTERNATIONALLY?
WHERE DO YOU FIND YOUR FRAMES?
My frames are custom made or shop bought depending on the project.
HOW DO I DRAW THAT?
Check out my tutorials, walk-through's and speed drawings.
OH NO! I THINK SOMEONE HAS STOLEN YOU WORK/SHARING IT WITHOUT CREDIT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Get in touch via my contact page with URL details and screenshots of the problem. If you can, feel free to tag me or credit me anyway you can in the content/post/tweet to make the person aware the work is copyright to Lianne Williams. You are not obliged to get involved but your assistance is appreciated.
WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Patterns and texture in nature, abstract art, theatrical and stage costuming, cosmetics, fashion, identity and feminism. Curiosity cabinets, magic, myth and folklore, perfumes, fungi, flora, fauna, gemstones. Science and chemistry. The night sky. Pinup art. Burlesque, hooping, fire dancing, aerial dancing. Miniature art.